What is Lice?
Lice is a parasitic infestation by genus pediculosis or pthiriasis.
Very common; especially in school-age children. Lice can be passed easily from person to person through close contact. Lice is mostly found on the head. The genus pthiriasis causes pubic lice. Lice attaches to the scalp and feeds on human blood. It presents with itching of scalp and or sensation of something crawling on the scalp. Lice and nits may be seen after combing the hair.
Visualization of lice or nits (Nits are lice eggs) is required to make a diagnosis. Lice or their nits will be seen after combing the hair.
Treatment of lice can involve non medical or medical options
Non-Medical treatment: Include wetting the hair and combing the hair through several times. This is done 2 times a week.
Application of olive oil or vaseline, cover with a shower cap overnight and washing off in the morning with combing the hair through.
Medical treatment: Is the application of Permethrin Lotion 1% for 10 minutes then washing off. Repeat treatment in one week. This treatment should not be used in children less than 2 months old.
Other things to do:
Includes washing pillows and beddings in hot soapy water.
Washing combs in hot soapy water.
If anything cannot be wash, place in a sealed plastic bag for 2 weeks.
WARNING: DO NOT APPLY PESTICIDES OR CHEMICALS FOR TREATMENT OF LICE. THE PESTICIDES or CHEMICALS are absorbed by the skin and can cause organ damage and death.
Image: Godaddy Stock