Women and men throughout the world seek beautiful radiant skin to boost their self-esteem, look healthy, appear successful, look appealing, look confident, attract partners, seek better positions and placements in life, be happy, and look good in public.
Whatever is your reason for the want of beautiful radiant skin, here are 7 tips to attaining clear radiant skin.
1.Water (Water, e no get enemy)
Increase water intake, while reducing sugary drinks, alcohol, and caffeine.
Water keeps the skin hydrated while making the skin supple and soft.
Water also causes increased urination which eliminates toxins.
2. Vegetables (The more the better)
Improve your diet with the consumption of more vegetables, fewer carbohydrates, and fewer meats and animal fat.
Vegetables provide nutrients that promote epithelialization of skin, promoting wound healing, and cell turnover.
A heavy consumption of meat and animal fats results in skin breakouts from the hormones used to process the meats.
3. Exercise (Walk before you run!)
Exercise by walking daily. Exercise improves circulation which creates mobilization of fluid from the face, such that bags under the eyes are lessened.
Exercise also creates good sleep for that refreshed look.
4. Sleep (On time)
A regular sleep pattern, with early bedtimes, will create rest from stress, refreshed ideas and create less worry and wrinkles.
Recommended sleep is 6 to 8 hours a day.
At bedtime, power down the digital devices to get a break from the demands of a technologized world.
5. Healing (From within)
Regular meditation and prayer will lift your troubles away to create a calm and peaceful countenance while causing wrinkles to diminish and creating a youthful look and radiant skin.
6. Skincare routine (According to your pocket)
In the case of skin concerns, good gels, lotions or creams approved by pharmacists, doctors or dermatologists can help to enhance your skin’s appearance. An overall good dermatologist approved cream is the Cerave moisturizing cream.
- Non-expensive skin products that can be used for body moisturization are locally made Shea butter and coconut oil. I do not recommend heavy oils for use on the face due to clogging of pores and precipitation of acne or pimples.
- Do not forget that vaseline or another brand of petroleum jelly is still a great affordable product to moisturize dry body skin, promote skin healing and works wonders for dryness of hands.
- The use of sun protection lotion to prevent sun damage. Good products to use include the Cerave brand or Neutrogena brand.
There are ingredients in skin creams that can diminish the appearance of wrinkles and dark spots from conditions like acne, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation or melasma of pregnancy.
- Safe cream ingredients include Niacinamide (vitamin B3) which provides a number of skin benefits, like improving the appearance of skin discoloration, dry skin and other visible signs of environmental damage. Some products containing Niacinamide includes brands like “Olay Regenerist“.
- Products with hyaluronic acid improve skin hydration thereby reducing wrinkles, fine lines, and dark spots or pigmentation. Darkened coloration under the eyes may be reduced with products like olay deep hydrating eye gel.
For problem skin concerns, there are Doctor prescribed products that can reduce dark spots, these may contain retinoids, glycolic acid or low strength hydroquinone to be used for short-term on a temporary basis over small areas of skin.
- DO NOT BLEACH! Any manner of bleaching or Head-to-toe bleaching of skin is not recommended due to serious and adverse health effects of the bleaching agents.
- Skin that has been bleached to look lighter; is damaged skin that in the event of surgery or injury will be difficult for doctors to suture.
- Bleached skin will not heal properly from wounds with resulting scars.
- After years of bleaching, the skin can turn permanently green, this is a medical term called ochronosis.
- Bleaching agents also cause acne and thinning of the skin.
- Lastly, the systemic effects of bleaching include absorption of toxins by the skin to cause kidney damage, kidney failure that can lead to dialysis; suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis to cause adrenal insufficiency, and skin cancer.
7. Makeup (The je ne sais quoi )
If you wish to cover up acne spots or other skin pigmentation concerns, utilize makeup concealers or the various powders and blushers that are now in use by makeup artists.
These powders are a safe temporary way to create a look that might help you feel good about yourself and make you stand out in a crowd if you so desire.
I hope these 7 tips will help you attain and maintain a healthier and beautiful skin.
Article by Dr. Ngozi Onuoha